Normally homeowners worry about their wiring when it is installed, and it is not thought of again unless there is some kind of problem. Many homes today have insufficient wiring, especially those more than a few decades old. With so many devices and appliances, the demand for power in homes has dramatically increased! If your wiring is outdated, it may make your home more susceptible to tripped breakers, shocks and even house fires. Don’t risk your family’s well being! Call Murray Electric & Plumbing at (918) 835-9605 and schedule your wiring upgrade today!
Signs Your Electrical Wiring Needs to be Upgraded
These are a few of the many signs that your home may be overdue for a wiring upgrade:
You Have Aluminum or Knob and Tube Wiring
Rewiring a whole house is a big and complicated project to take on. Amazingly, not all old house wiring is bad, but there are a few specific types that simply aren’t viable options at all. Aluminum wiring, which was usually used in homes during the 1960s and 1970s, and it is far too flammable to be used today. In the 1940s and 1950s, a non-metallic wiring was installed and it is not at all sufficient for today’s needs. Unfortunately, you also can not continue to use knob and tube wiring. This was used before the non-metallic wiring, because it has far too many well-known safety hazards.
Your Home Has Ungrounded Outlets
Even surge protectors won’t protect you from the older style of two-pronged outlets. These are an extreme safety hazard. Not only can excess lectric ruin your expensive devices, it can also shock you leaving injuries. Dramatically reduce the risk of shock and property damage by having grounded wires and three-prong outlets installed.
Your Outlets Do Not Have GFCIs
You are likely familiar with the “TEST” and “RESET” buttons on appliances and light switches. These GFCIs protect you from getting shocked in high moisture areas. They are legally required to be placed in bathrooms, kitchens, and rooms that feature plumbing, as well as any electrified areas outside of your home. If you do not have these cheap, quick and easy devices in any of the listed areas, you could be at risk of being shocked.
You Do Not Have AFCIs
AFCIs act as individual circuit breakers, which disconnect in the case of a dangerous arc. All fifty states mandate them in bedrooms and many states mandate them on all electrical circuits.
Your Appliance Outlets Are Outdated
Once upon a time, household appliances had the same electrical plugs as everything else. Now, a 240-volt outlet is needed to power an oven, clothes dryer, or other large appliance. Older appliance plug wiring has only three prongs. Now 240 plugs feature four prongs because a ground wire has been added for safety.
Your Electrical Panel Is Insufficient
Do you know how many amps it takes to power your home? Just twenty years ago, 60-amp circuit breaker wiring would have been quite enough, but today a home often needs two to four times that many amps to successfully run the appliances and devices your family uses everyday. For instance, charging mobile devices, flat screen televisions, the refrigerator and central air conditioning. The only way to make sure that you can meet your home’s growing energy need is to upgrade your breaker box wiring.
Contact Murray Electric & Plumbing for Residential Wiring Upgrades
Protect against the risk of shock and house fires, ensure the safe, efficient operation of all of your family’s electronics and appliances all while increasing the value of your home. Call Murray Electric & Plumbing at (918) 835-9605 to schedule an appointment for an electrical and wiring inspection today. Serving Broken Arrow, OK. and surrounding arrows, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!