Within the next month or two many people will celebrate several holidays. Holidays are delightful times that can be filled with enjoyable, family, friends and lots of fond memories. Sadly, the good times can easily be spoiled by an emergency plumbing situation.
The holiday season, especially in cold weather regions, presents its own unique set of challenges when it comes to plumbing. Additional guests, accidents and freezing temperatures can all play a part in your need to call an emergency plumber out on a holiday.
How To Prevent Holiday Plumbing Issues
As you get ready for the extra cooking and guests that the holidays bring, you can also prepare your plumbing. Taking a few quick and easy preventative steps can spare you the time and cost of needing to hire an emergency plumber in the middle of your holiday.
5 Tips to Prevent Plumbing Emergencies Throughout the Holidays
Follow these tips for a stress free holiday, at the very least when it pertains to your plumbing.
- Start the season with clean drains. This is one of the best things you can do to make things run efficiently. Pour one part baking soda and one part vinegar down the drain (a half cup to one cup of each). Wait for a few moments and then rinse with warm water. If you do not have sink strainers, you ought to invest in them (they are fairly inexpensive). This will help keep your drains from becoming blocked during all of the cooking and dishwashing of holiday meal preparation.
- Prepare your bathroom. It is a great idea to make certain that there is a plunger handy in every bathroom. You should keep it someplace out of the way, yet also in a location where the guest will see it, in case it is required. In addition, put a trash can in a noticeable and easy to use place. This will motivate guests not to put anything into your septic tank that doesn’t belong there.
- Clean your kitchen appliances. This is a great time of year to inspect appliances that normally don’t require a regular look over. This is the time to inspect the dishwashers drain trap and screen. You can add a couple of drops of an essential oil to your garbage disposal to prevent smells, or you can run a quartered lemon through the disposal. Whatever you do, do not put grease down your drain, it is most likely to cause a clog and will damage your septic system.
- Prepare your bathtub and shower. If you are going to have guests staying with you during the holiday season, they will likely be taking showers. Of course you know they will need additional towels, but there are other preparations that you should make, too. Make sure that you clear any hair out of the drains. If you do not have strainers for the drains, save yourself a lot of trouble and add them. If you are hosting more than one person, see to it everybody waits at least ten to twenty minutes between showers so that the drains have time to clear.
- Address any existing maintenance concerns. If you have leaking faucets or a slow working drain, you will want to address that prior to the holidays. When the stress of holiday cooking multiple guests and cold weather sets in, issues can become far more difficult to deal with.
Emergency Plumber in Broken Arrow, OK
Contact an Emergency Plumber in Broken Arrow. No matter the number of preventative measures we take, sometimes, things simply happen. Emergency situations often take place at inopportune times. If you have a plumbing emergency in Broken Arrow and need help, call Murray Electric & Plumbing at (918) 835-9605 right away.